Sadly those classes ended once I stopped going to Bally's, and even though Gold's offers group exercise, none of the offerings really appealed to me. So when I joined the YMCA, I was super excited to learn about all of the classes that are offered.
Obviously, it's possible to do strength work, plyo and drills on your own, but there's just something about a group class that pushes you to do more. That's what I love about my favorite classes, Y-Blitz and Y-Fuse.
For those of you not familiar with these classes, here are the descriptions for each, taken from the YMCA website:
Y-Blitz: An all-out sports style cross training class. This is your crossfit solution to keep your body guessing every single class. Uses everything including weights, cardio, tires, barbells, medicine balls and more.
Y-Fuse: Exciting, innovative cardio class that uses sports-inspired drills to get the heart rate pumping. Fast paced, effective workout in a short time block.
Video from the Downtown YMCA Group Exercise Fitnatics Facebook Page
My thoughts on the classes:
- Y-Blitz is more difficult than Y-Fuse, but both classes are challenging in their own way. Y-Blitz includes more strength training and pushup variations galore! Y-Fuse is more cardio based with plyo type exercises, such as jump lunges.
- In both classes, I love the sprint laps around the track in between exercise sets!
- I love the fast pace of these workouts. You work up a good sweat in just a short amount of time. Perfect for a power lunch!
- What you get out of these classes is directly proportionate to what you put in. If you slack off during sets and laps, then it will be an easier workout. But if you push hard throughout, you will be drenched in sweat by the end.
- The instructors are great - high-energy, super motivating and always happy to provide a modification to make an exercise easier or harder. This makes the classes manageable for all fitness levels.
So what are you waiting for? Come join me for a class at the YMCA stat! But be prepared to fall fast - it might just be love at first burpee ;)
Tell me: What's the best group exercise class you've ever done?